Surrounded by Cedar Child and Family Services
Our Impact Why We Exist
Our vision is of healthy children who will grow up connected to their families, communities and culture. We will work together toward the day all children and families have skills, knowledge, education and support to ensure their children and their children’s children will not enter the child welfare or justice systems.
Our Story What We Do
Surrounded by Cedar Child and Family Services provides child and family services rooted in cultural values and beliefs to restore and enhance the strength and resiliency in the urban Aboriginal community.
Surrounded by Cedar Child and Family Services (SCCFS) is a dream come true for many Aboriginal people living in Victoria. For many years, Aboriginal people have worked together to build a better future for those who will come after us.
On September 17, 2002 our agency was born. Our name was given to us by John Aitken, a Coast Salish man who grew up in foster care. John told us that because Cedar is sacred to all the Island First Nations, naming our agency “Surrounded by Cedar”. It is a good way to let children and families that come here know they are welcome in this place, and are welcome in our home.
Our Programs How We Do It
We offer a range of services including:
- Guardianship - acting as legal guardians to urban Aboriginal children who are in continuing care of the Director
- Resources - recruiting, studying and providing ongoing support to Caregivers of Aboriginal children in care
- Family Preservation such as Life Long Connections, Permanency Planning and Family Safety
- Cultural Programs such as Spring and Summer break camps, Youth Leadership and Welcoming Ceremonies
- Child & Youth Counselling
Please visit our website to learn more.