Silver Threads Service
Our Impact Why We Exist
Silver Threads Service provides opportunities to enhance quality of life for seniors.
We will, in responding to the needs, interests, and changing status of seniors in the Capital Regional District:
- establish and operate centres
- develop and administer programs and services
- invite and encourage participation of seniors
- cooperate and liaise with other agencies
Silver Threads is an organization providing services and programs to seniors at purpose built centres and outreach locations throughout the Capital Regional District.
Please visit our website at www.silverthreads.ca for full information on what we do.
Our Story What We Do
Silver Threads has been providing programs and services to older adults in the Greater Victoria area for over 55 years. Today, we run two full service centres (Victoria and Saanich) and numerous outreach locations through the community.
Our Programs How We Do It
The categories of program offerings include: Exercise, Crafts & Arts, Educational, Personal Growth, Employment, Social Interaction, Food Services and Information & Referral. Plus, Special Issues programs are developed such as those for:
- People with dementia and their caregivers
- Isolated seniors to re-enter their community
- Congregate dining for people with low mobility and others who are at risk of becoming isolated
- Information on how to get needed services through VIHA and other government supports
- Numerous volunteer opportunities to help older adults feel needed in the community.
There is a welcoming atmosphere where patrons know they always have a hospitable place to come and make new friends, and stay active.
Our programs and services address the social, health, activity, intellectual, and information needs of seniors and provide essential connections. These include:
- Connections to legal, housing, tax, care-giving, health, information/referral, and personal care services
- Connections to resources for “Aging in Place”
- Connections to social activities
- Connections to physical, fun, intellectual, and learning activities
- Connections to health services (on site and in the community)
- Connections to employment or volunteering opportunities
- Connections to online resources
What You Can Do
There are many ways to support Silver Threads Service Society, from donations and gifts in kind to volunteering your time. Please visit our website to learn how you can get involved.