Pearson College UWC (Lester B. Pearson College of the Pacific)
Our Impact Why We Exist
Pearson College UWC is a two-year pre-university college that provides promising future leaders with a transformative education, one that gives them the tools and inspires the passion to create lasting, positive change in the world. One of 17 United World Colleges (UWC) schools worldwide, Pearson students and faculty are bound by a belief that education can be transformative and is a force to unite people, nations and cultures for peace and a sustainable future.
Our Story What We Do
Pearson College UWC is a unique pre-university school that each year hosts up to 200 students from diverse countries and cultures around the world and across Canada based on their promise, potential and demonstrated commitment to actively engage in creating a more peaceful and sustainable world. Selected on the basis of merit -- up to 90% or more students attend on a scholarship -- and reflecting a policy of deliberate diversity, many students are from regions of conflict and frequently from challenging socioeconomic circumstances. A non-profit institution, Pearson provides emerging young leaders and changemakers with an intense, rigorous and inspiring two-year experience designed to shape them into transformative leaders with the tools, commitment, courage and networks to effect lasting, positive change in the world.
The College is a legacy of the vision of former Prime Minister and Nobel Peace Prize Laureate (1957) Lester B. Pearson. In his Nobel Prize Lecture, Mr. Pearson asked, “How can there be peace without people understanding each other, and how can this be if they don’t know each other?”
Our Programs How We Do It
As part of the United World Colleges movement, Pearson College UWC is committed to:
- International and intercultural understanding, building communities that are free from prejudice and intolerance irrespective of gender, socioeconomic, cultural, racial, religious and national backgrounds.
- Consciously creating a supportive environment where differences are valued and recognized for the strength they bring to communities.
- Personal responsibility and integrity
- A collaborative and mutually supportive approach, one that recognizes that dependability and respect underpin the smooth functioning of any encounter or team.
- Compassion and service at personal, local, regional, national and international levels—we want to do what we can to make the world a better place.
- Respect for the environment, where we are actively seeking solutions that will contribute to a sustainable future.
- Idealism: We believe that it is possible to make a difference and actively seek to work with others who share that belief.
- The concept of learning through doing and the value of interactions and experience.
- The importance of acting on your beliefs and taking a lead role in what you do as well as what you say.
What You Can Do
Pearson College UWC is a registered Canadian charitable organization and can also accept gifts to the Pearson College US Foundation. Charitable tax receipts are issued for all valid donations in support of the College for scholarships, campus renewal or endowment funds. We accept recurring monthly and annual giving by cash, cheque, credit card and EFT.
If you are interested in planned gifts such as publicly-traded securities, life insurance, gifts of RRSP and RRIF Funds, and bequest gifts, our staff will be happy to help with planned gifts that will result in tax savings for your estate.
Particularly in the Southern Vancouver Island and Lower Mainland areas, Pearson College UWC also seeks families to take part in the Host Family Volunteer Program. Host families provide a Canadian home experience by hosting students for short periods during breaks in the academic calendar.