Horticulture Centre of the Pacific
Our Impact Why We Exist
Who We Are.....
We are a not for profit society registered in the Province of British Columbia. Situated on the southern tip of Vancouver Island in the municipality of Saanich. The HCP is dedicated to the provision of high quality horticulture education to people of all ages, locally, nationally, and internationally.
Situated on 43 hectares of gardens, woodlands and wetlands located within 15 minutes of downtown the Gardens at HCP provides a unique learning environment for students, volunteers, visitors and members.
Our Story What We Do
Education is a core focus of the HCP. We are in the process of expanding our educational programs through relevancy in the community.
1) Everything we do is designed to support our educational strategy and objectives. This incudes everything from the design of our gardens to how we deal with waste.
2) National and International Importance – we recently received the accolade of Botanical Garden, the only one in Victoria. This gives us a global reach for tourists and students alike.
3) Reach the community through youth and seniors programs as well as an extensive list of wide variety for community education.
4) We run a number of large community events throughout the year, the biggest and longest running is Arts and Music in the Gardens. We draw over 3000 visitors a year to this event and plan on growing the model.
5) We are able to host events and lectures through our different event spaces and can accommodate groups as small as 10 people up to 200 people.
6) We are a tourist destination as a Botanic Garden and have 10 acres of demonstration gardens to showcase as well as preserved wetlands and conservation areas.
Our Programs How We Do It
Workshops – a variety of topics from bee culture to basketry, taught throughout the year in small, intimate gatherings, with qualified instructors and hands-on practical learning.
Events – Arts and Music in the Gardens, a fabulous event each August, The Children's Harvest Festival in October and plant sales in spring and fall.
Restaurant – Nourish Bistro is open everyday and offers tasty and nutritious meals with a gorgeous view.
Library – Many interesting and some obscure books on horticulture offered to members and students.
Dig This Giftshop – a small, intimate corner with treasures to delight.
Rentals: 200 seat Couvelier Pavilion will be available to the public for private functions and weddings.
Landscape Horticulture Certificate – The 10-month horticulture technician program is designed for students who seek to become full time professional gardeners.
Part Time Landscape Horticulture Apprenticeship Training – for those wishing to train while still working full-time.
Level 3 and 4 Apprenticeship Training – advanced horticultural education for graduate students.
Online Course Offerings – Botany and Soils courses
What You Can Do
With your support...
1) We can expand our volunteer base which in turn lends itself to overall growth of the organization
2) With your donation we can stabilize our finances and build a strong foundation for the future
3) With more equipment donations we can support infrastructure goals and grow the programs and the college.
4) Using our event and meeting space for your events helps us reach our goals and exposes us to more people in the community.