Early Music Society of the Islands
Our Impact Why We Exist
Based in Victoria, BC, the Early Music Society of the Islands (EMSI) is one of North America’s most active and successful early music specialists.
It was founded in 1985 to promote interest in historically-informed performances of music composed before 1800.
Our Story What We Do
EMSI embraces the idea that early music deserves to be heard with close to its original intent. To that end, our concerts feature period instruments, accurate scores, and historical performance practices.
Renowned artists, both international and homegrown, have graced our stage. The list of soloists and ensembles presented by EMSI is a who's who of the international early music scene.
Our Programs How We Do It
EMSI presents an annual concert series of music from the middle ages to the early classical age from its home concert venue, the beautiful Alix Goolden Performance Hall. Each concert spotlights an internationally-acclaimed connoisseur of period music.
The Society also offers an Early Music bursary, which helps to support early music performance and education in the community. Concerts and recitals, extra-curricular studies, and community education initiatives are eligible projects, and up to $1,000 is available each year.
In addition, EMSI arranges master classes with visiting artists, promotes the concerts of local musicians, and makes its period instruments available to the community.
What You Can Do
Becoming a member of the Society shows to others your support in many ways of our ability to bring quality early music to this community! It enables us to present the world-class performances you have come to expect. It enables us to collaborate with other Arts organizations to bring cultural and economic benefit to where we live. And, it encourages our funders to commit to an organization you believe in!
Membership benefits include:
- Ticket discounts for EMSI, Victoria Philharmonic Choir, Pacific Baroque Festival
- Discount on Early Music America subscription and magazine
- CD discount at EMSI concerts
- Free music-related ads in the membership newsletter andconcert programme
- Member newsletter
- A voice in running the society with your vote at the Annual General Meeting
You can purchase a membership:
- in person at a concert or the Annual General Meeting
- in person at RMTS Box Office, #3 Centennial Square, Victoria BC
- by phone to RMTS Box Office at 250-386-6121 or toll-free 1-888-717-6121
- by faxing a completed order form to RMTS Office at 250-361-0805
- by mailing a completed order form to RMTS Box Office, #3 Centennial Square, Victoria BC V8W 1P5
Memberships mailed at no charge to you.
An essential component of the Society since its founding nearly three decades ago is its relationship with its volunteers.
EMSI continues to enjoy the support of local early music lovers through their commitment to bringing a high quality of performance to our community.
The board of directors is a fully-volunteer working board. Many of responsibilities of running the Society are undertaken by the board and its dedicated Volunteer Guild.
If you are interested in contributing to the success of early music in the region through your gift of volunteering, please complete the volunteer application form online. Or, you may download the