BC Schizophrenia Society, Victoria Branch
Our Impact Why We Exist
BCSS Victoria provides services for people with mental illness, regardless of their diagnosis, and the people who care about them.
Our Story What We Do
Approximately two thirds of the people that we serve have schizophrenia or psychosis or a loved one with schizophrenia or psychosis, one third a mood disorder (bipolar disorder or major depression) or a loved one that does. We also provide service to people with anxiety, borderline personality disorder and other disorders.
Our Programs How We Do It
For People Experiencing Mental Illness
- Peer Support
- Recovery and Hope Support Group – Wednesdays
- Wellness Recovery Action Plan(R) - WRAP(R)
- Memorial Fund
Programs for People with Family or Friends with a Mental Illness
- Strengthening Families Together Course
- Family Counselling
- Early Psychosis Family Support Group
- Spouse/Partner Support Group
- Family Support Group
- Free To Be Me! (kids with parental mental illness)
- Family Peer Support
- insideOUT/Free To Be Me 2! (teens with parental mental illness)
In addition to our popular programs we...
- Education: Host an annual accredited conference for over 200 people
- Education: Host 4 public forums on topical areas yearly
- Education/Stigma busting: approximately 25-60 partnership presentations per year (speakers bureau)
- Host an annual summer picnic for 100 people
- Host an annual Christmas Dinner and Dance for 300 people
- Fundraiser: May Annual "Iris Luncheon" for National Schizophrenia Awareness Day 100+ people)
- Fundraiser: February "Naked Bungy for BCSS" (200+ people)
- Fundraiser: Memorial Fund Jazz Event (100+ people)
- Consult and advocacy as needed through 3000+ phonecalls/drop ins and 4000 emails per year
What You Can Do
BCSS Victoria works with, and on behalf, of people with mental illness and their families. Please consider becoming a member, be a donor, or volunteer your time. Together, we can make a difference for those facing mental illness with/without substance use in our local community!