1Up, Single Parent Resource Centre
Our Impact Why We Exist
We believe in the strength and integrity of single parents and in offering a welcoming place where all single parent families can gather and grow. The work we do here transforms lives, creating stronger families and healthier children.
"Through a volunteer and a good friend, I found out about the programs the Single Parent Resource Centre had to offer. The parenting and anger management classes helped me cope and realize that I was not alone. There were wonderful caring people out there who were willing to listen. Through taking these courses I learned many new ways of becoming a better parent and learned techniques in managing the anger that was still in me from the demise of my relationship with my son’s father. As the years go by, I think of those days I felt so angry and alone. Today I feel loved and very blessed to have had the fortune of the Single Parent Resource Centre; with caring staff and volunteers they helped me with my transition to the person I am today.
I still go back from time to time. As a single parent, Christmas can be financially hard, so It is a great feeling seeing my son so excited on Christmas day and through the kindness of strangers our day was blessed with gifts and treats. The clothing room is where I got my lucky suit and that suit helped me get my job that I still have today. The Centre has helped many parents such as myself, and will continue to help many more. So to the staff and volunteers, thank you for your kindness and generosity. To the community who support the Centre, thank you! Your support has helped me and many other parents through our difficult times." - Leigh W.
1Up, Victoria Single Parent Resource Centre, provides practical support, opportunities for growth, and a sense of hope for single-parent families across Greater Victoria. Guided by skilled and committed staff and trained volunteers, we offer important services to create foundations for personal and community growth in a welcoming environment.
Our Story What We Do
~ Support, opportunities for growth, hope. ~
Our free services for members include:
- up to ten free individual counselling sessions
- a clothing and household goods room
- bread pantry and book & toy room
- an annual school supplies drive
- a unique Christmas Hamper program
1Up also offers a comprehensive and affordable selection of educational opportunities to everyone in the community:
- Life skills programs and workshops
- Parenting skill and development courses
- Moms and Mentors, a mentoring program for isolated single mothers
- Dads With Dads, our fathers' support group
We also offer volunteer opportunities for those interested in sharing their skills and talents, including our Peer Helper Training program which prepares volunteers to provide reception, individual support, and resource information.
For more information, please call us at 250.385.1114 or visit www.1-up.ca
Our Programs How We Do It
Happy Healthy Kids
All children deserve and need to know that they are loved, that they matter, and have a secure place in their family. All parents want their children to have healthy self-esteem, positive role models and community connections. We have seen the transformation of families through the combination of 1Up’s support and programs. Our free practical support services for single parent members include counselling, a clothing and household goods room, bread pantry, book & toy room, and school supplies. All of this support helps enable single parents to overcome some of the daily struggles.
Life Skills Workshops and Parenting Skill and Development Courses
Lighthouse Parent 0-5, 6-12, & Teens
Extended Lighthouse Parent
Relationships and Boundaries
Dads with Dads Support Group
Anatomy of Anger
Moms & Mentors
Our MOMentum Series matches volunteer mentors with single moms who would like extra support, guidance, information, and friendship, including:
- Monthly Sessions for Mentors for training and support
- Saturday monthly training meetings for both Moms and Mentors where lunch is provided (attendance is mandatory)
- Interviewing of both Moms and Mentors to best meet the needs and interests of the Mom and Mentor matched
- Guest speakers at the Saturday Training Meetings for Moms and Mentors to learn about community resources, parenting and personal development issues, and an opportunity to connect with other Moms
- Ongoing support for all Moms and Mentors
Annual Christmas Hamper Program and School Supplies Drive
Ongoing Peer Helper Volunteer Program
What You Can Do
“I was emotionally and physically distraught when I was suddenly on my own with two children. I came to 1Up because I needed counselling and a connection with others who could understand. I found a sense of belonging, inspiration, mentoring and role models.” - Tania, mom to Bonita and Cianna.
Donate today and make an immediate difference in the lives of children and parents from single parent families.
Ways To Give:
- ONLINE. Click here to donate securely using your credit card.
- VISIT us at the Office at602 Gorge Rd. East, 9 AM to 4 PM weekdays.
- MAIL a completed Response Form, ATTN: Trevor Tuckwell, 602 Gorge Rd. East Victoria, BC V8T 2W6
- SHOP using Thrifty Foods Smile Cards. All proceeds from the Smile Cards will go to purchase food vouchers for single parent families.
- VOLUNTEER with us. Click here for more information on how you can use your expertise and talents to great use by becoming a valuable member of our team.